The goal of the Nevada Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP) is to reach zero fatalities. Nevada’s Pedestrian Safety Critical Emphasis Area Fact Sheet provides information on who is involved in fatal and serious-injury pedestrian crashes, where and when these crashes occurred, and why they happened. The Fact Sheet also outlines critical strategies and action steps the State of Nevada plans to take in reducing impaired driving crashes in efforts to reach our goal of zero fatalities.
Erin Breen, UNLV Vulnerable Road Users Project
Bill Story, Nevada Department of Transportation, Multimodal Planning
Molly O’Brien, Kimley-Horn
September 3, 2020 – Pedestrian Task Force Meeting
Implement geometric improvements through engineering
- Provide data and tools for practitioners to choose appropriate safety mitigation measures for pedestrians (bulb-outs, median refuge, tighter radii at crosswalks, narrowing the pavement width, off-set sidewalks, etc.).
- Modifications to signal timing to provide accommodations for pedestrians and bicyclists (pedestrian lead intervals at high pedestrian use locations, automatic call for intersections with high pedestrian activity, consider a pilot for changing the walk icons, etc.).
- Apply the NDOT Process for the Evaluation of Uncontrolled Crosswalk Locations at all legal uncontrolled crosswalk locations whether existing or proposed.
- Provide pedestrian-focused lighting at pedestrian crossing locations.
Training, education and awareness
- Implement Vision Zero in Northern Nevada and Southern Nevada.
- Implement pedestrian safety zones.
- Collaborate on and provide support for pedestrian safety awareness campaigns – Target messages to impacted groups (based on data analysis) (campaign for how long it takes a driver to see, react and stop for a pedestrian. Provide education on the buses.).
- Collaborate on and provide support for programs that promote walking or biking to school and include safety education to school children and parents.
Improve driver and pedestrian awareness and behavior
- Provide and publicize targeted law enforcement events so that law enforcement can educate/ticket non-compliant motorists and pedestrians.
- Prioritize and plan NRS language and key bill provisions (Current activities on pedestrian timing language).
- Pedestrian citation class.
All Advisory Opinions for the 2021 Legislative session are under development.
|Intersection Safety and Pedestrian Safety Task Force Meeting Agenda||09/2020|
|Intersection Safety and Pedestrian Safety Task Force Meeting Minutes||06/2020|
|Pedestrian Safety Task Force Quarterly Summary Report||03/2020|
|Pedestrian Safety Critical Emphasis Area Fact Sheet||08/2019|
|Pedestrian Fatalities by State – 2018 Preliminary Data||2019|
|Vision Zero Truckee Meadows Draft Action Plan||2019|
|The Basics of Micromobility and Related Motorized Devices for Personal Transport||Website||2019|
|E-Scooter Management in Midsized Cities in the United States||Website||2019|
|Traffic Law 101||2019|
|Traffic Law 102||2019|
|Early Estimate of Motor Vehicle Traffic Fatalities in 2018||2019|
|Traffic Safety Facts – Bicyclists and other Cyclists||2019|
|DWI History of Fatally Injured Pedestrians||2019|
|Pedestrian Traffic Fatalities by State – 2019 Preliminary Data||2019|
|Pedestrian Fatalities by State – 2017 Preliminary Data||2018|
|Injured Pedestrians: A National Descriptive Analysis (2012-2016)||2016|
|Pedestrian Safety A Road Safety Manual for Decision-Makers and Practitioners||2013|